For Alto and Grand Rapids, MI, homeowners, a water leak that goes undetected can cause your water bills to become unmanageable. Also, water leaks that go unfixed can cause property damage that is costly to repair. At Sheely Plumbing Inc., our technicians are experts in finding and fixing water leaks no matter where they are in your system. Call us today if you think you have a water leak.
For stubborn drain clogs, check out our drain cleaning services.
Four Signs of an Undetected Water Leak
While most plumbing issues are apparent, such as a burst pipe or clogged toilet, others go unnoticed until there’s significant damage. Fortunately, there are subtle clues to watch for that alert you of a leak somewhere in your plumbing system, and that you need to call a water leak detection company for help. Here’s what to watch for.
- Foundation Issues - Sometimes, leaks occur under your slab foundation, which is known as a slab leak. You may hear the sound of running water from above your foundation, or you may notice cracks appearing in the foundation wall. Other signs of under slab leaks are that your doors and windows don’t open and close as easily as before, and you notice cracks in the walls of your home.
- Water Meter Runs for No Apparent Reason - If you think you have a water leak deep in the system, stop using water in the house and watch the water meter to see if it registers usage.
- Increase in Mold or Water Damage - Moisture in the home usually results in the growth of mold and gives signs of water damage such as wallpaper that’s peeling or water spots. Also, watch for damp spots on the floor or floors that feel ‘mushy.’
- Foul Smells or Strange Sounds - Even if you don’t see signs of damage, you may hear dripping or gurgling sounds that result from a water leak. Also, be aware of musty odors that suddenly appear in the home.
How Plumbers Perform Leak Detection
Leaks are a common problem that can cause costly damage if left unchecked. Your professional residential plumber has a variety of techniques to find leaks, including:
- Acoustic Listening Devices - Many plumbers use ground microphones and listening discs to identify leaks. These devices allow them to hear the noise produced by escaping water.
- Heat Scanning - Sometimes, the area is too noisy to get accurate readings from an acoustic device, so the plumber may use a scanner that detects temperature changes caused by escaping water.
- Video - Video inspection techniques are the most accurate at pinpointing leaks. Plumbers use miniaturized cameras on long fiber optic cables that travel through the pipes. The camera relays images back to the surface where the technician can see the leak.
If you suspect you have a water leak, call us and let us find out for sure.
If you have a plumbing emergency in your Alto or Grand Rapids home, don’t panic. Call us for 24 hour emergency service!
Dangers of Undetected Water Leaks
Nobody wants to deal with a water leak; however, they often strike when you least expect it. Whether it’s a burst pipe or a foundation leak, fixing the problem quickly is vital to protect your property and prevent expensive repairs. Letting a water leak go on for too long poses the following dangers:
- Mold and mildew buildup
- Damaged paint or wallpaper
- Stained walls and ceilings
- Musty odors
- Warped walls and doors
- Damaged flooring
- Damaged foundation
- Damp floors